History

In 1955 an agreement was signed with the World Health Organization to establish the Higher Institute of Nursing which was affiliated the Faculty of Medicine, University of Alexandria. The Higher Institute of Nursing became the first Higher Institute of Nursing in the Middle East and Africa. The teaching staff consisted of 5 American visiting nursing specialists and a director who were assigned by WHO. Through the 50 years, the Higher Institute of Nursing grew and by the year 1966, the director, as well as the teaching staff members were Egyptians. They were 20 in number. They have reached one hundred and sixty- seven by the year 2000, and two hundred and twenty three till the year 2005.The first nurses who graduate from the Higher Institute of Nursing in 1968 1969, were only five. However, the total number of nurses who graduate from the higher institute who graduate over the past 50 years reached 6278 nurses. Many have held leadership positions in the field of nursing in Eygpt & neighboring Middle East countries. The Higher Institute of Nursing started a master program in nursing in the academic year 1969-1970. A total the supreme council of the Egyptian Universities granted independent in March 1992 to Higher Institute of Nursing, University of Alexandria in september1984, by Presidental Degree, the Faculty of Nursing became the autonomous Faculty of Nursing affiliated to a University of the national and Middle East level. In 1992 First Lady Mrs. Suzanne Mubarak, laid the corner stone to the new faculty building in 2002. It has been inaugurated under the auspices of the Minister of the Higher Education and Scientific Research, President of Alexandria University and the Faculty's Dean number of 356 nurses have been graduated from this program in 1976-1977 and to this day 147 graduated obtained a Doctoral degree in Nursing Science, and moreover, one graduate for Diploma Program.